Tuesday, September 22, 2009



One of the reasons I wanted to come down to Fethiye is because it is a good base for going to visit the Saklikent Gorge, an awesome 18KM-long crack in a mountain that is so incredibly narrow that almost no sunlight manages to penetrate through. Outside of the Gorge entrance, there's a sign posted in both Turkish and English; the English version says something to the effect of "please make sure your shoes are water submersible because there are sections of the gorge where you will be walking through water and/or mud." I'm wondering if there was a problem when it came to the language translation because I'm thinking that the English wording needs some tinkering, and should say something along the lines of "BEWARE! Any person who attempts to walk this gorge without proper footgear is a damn fool, and is surely asking to die an early death." Anyone who is thinking of paying a visit should know that most of the hike is through freezing cold water that ranges from ankle to almost waist deep (at least on me...for those of you with freakishly long legs, the water might never reach past your knees), and involves walking through/under waterfalls (wear a bathing costume, and be prepared to get soaked from head to toe), and scrambling over many slippery boulders. The walk is made all the more challenging because the water is rather cloudy, making it impossible to see where you're putting your feet. Most people pay the nominal entrance fee just to walk the first 50 metres to see where the gorge opens up, take a few photos at the first water crossing, point and laugh at the tourists who are silly enough to actually wade across to the other side, and turn around without subjecting their feet to the frigid water. For those who continue on, a good number of them come back barefoot when they lose a flip-flop (thong sandal) to the surprisingly strong and fast current. As for me, while I didn't lose a shoe, I did manage to drop my chap stick in the water, and watched in horror as it sped away downstream...this may not sound like a big deal, but if you know me, you know that I go through chap stick like there's no tomorrow. I walked the gorge in the company of a couple of very cool Poles I met on the dolmus (minibus) ride from Fethiye to the gorge. I'm so happy that they were there, because not only were they excellent company, but I definitely needed someone there for moral support, to hang onto at certain water crossings, and to lend a steadying hand when hoping from rock to rock. We walked for just over two hours before turning back, as we were definitely not properly equipped to make it safely to the end. In any case, the Saklikent Gorge is pretty spectacular and I would really recommend it for those of you who aren't water shy, and know how to rock the drowned cat look.


Where the adventure seekers are separated from the pansy ass tour groups


How awesome is that??????


No comments:

Post a Comment