Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Hmm, what was meant to be a fairly regularly updated travel blog has gotten off to a slow start. I've been travelling for two weeks now, and for one reason or another, up until now I haven't done any updating. In all fairness, when I was on the train from Berlin to Munich, I did write a longish entry in microsoft word, but when I tried to copy and paste it into blogger, it didn't work. If I were more patient or internet literate, perhaps I would make an effort to figure out how to post it, but I'm neither patient nor internet literate, so for the moment that entry is going remain unposted.

Anyhow, since my last entry, I've packed up my life in Paris, crossed three borders without ever showing my passport, seen four cities, and have surfed five couches. I spent twelve days in Germany, and for the most part, they were twelve awesome days. I won't bother going into a ton of detail about my time there, but I do have a few comments/observations to make:

1. Germans are a seriously wasp-fearing people! On multiple occasions I've been in the company of different Germans who have gone into complete panic over the presence of a wasp. Is it terrible of me to say that it's actually kind of funny to watch? I feel like I'm just inviting bad karma to flow my way now...

2. Although Germany has proven itself to not be the culinary wasteland that I was anticipating, I am not going to lie, I was left feeling a little cold over the oh so famous currywurst. Currywurst is apparently the iconic street food of Berlin, but honestly, it's just a sausage, covered in ketchup and curry powder. It tastes exactly as it sounds. I feel like this is the kind of food that I would have found delicious when I was 5-years-old.

3. Possibly my favourite thing about Germany (aside from the Germans I met through couchsurfing) is the abundance of good coffee that is available at a reasonable price! I suppose that just about anything will taste good compared to the coffee they serve in Paris, and will be a bargain to boot, but Germans are serious about their coffee! After having spent the last year kicking a multiple-cups-of-day habit that I developed in Toronto, twelve days in Germany was enough to become an addict again.

I'm now in Budapest, and will make it a point to update more frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment