Monday, August 3, 2009

Random Rambling

This afternoon, I was on my way home from work on the metro, and wound up sharing a bench with three french children, two girls and a boy, all probably under the age of 7. I usually don't pay much attention to kids in the metro, but after a couple of minutes, I realized that they were playing everyone's favourite childhood game, 'pierre-feuille-ciseaux', otherwise known as 'rock-paper-scissors'. I've seen this game played in China, Honduras, Egypt and, of course, at home in Canada, so I guess this really is a universal game. Anyhow, normally I don't care much for the game, but the kids were kept chanting 'pierre-feuile-ciseaux' over and over again, so i couldn't help but to observe, and and just when I was beginning towonder why they weren't getting bored after the 9th round, the little boy decided to liven the game up, and on the 10th round, when the moment came for the big reveal, he yelled 'pistole!', and mimicked pulling a trigger with his tiny 4-year-old hand. Naturally, the two girls immediately denounced the move, haughtily telling him that he clearly didn't know how to play the game. Am I the only one who finds this ingenious, hilarious and alarming all at the same time?! Ah, kids these days....

In other news, so to speak, there were a couple of interesting articles in the NY Times today that I thought were interesting and worth sharing. The first one is about why we go to museums (and travel, more broadly), and what we get out of the experience. I felt like it was a pretty aptly timed article, seeing as I will soon be hitting the road, and often find myself asking these exact questions. The second article was about Chinggis Khan and what he represents in Mongolia. I have a real soft spot in my heart for Mongolia, and so I'm always happy when I find any articles about the often neglected country. I love how the article refers to Ulaanbaatar as the "drab capital"...clearly I am not the only person who thinks that UB is a major eyesore. Anyhow, I thought that these were decent reads, and encourage you all to take a quick look if you have a couple of minutes.

After 30 days of deprivation, I am super pumped about getting up early tomorrow morning to hit my favourite boulangerie, Boris Portolan. After an agonizingly long month of the baker having been on his annual summer holiday, the doors are reopening tomorrow, and I will be in line for their insanely delicious pain de tradition!

No comments:

Post a Comment